Tuesday, September 24, 2013

We must not alienate mums who juggle work with raising a disabled child

As a young mother of a son with autism, pursuing a career in PR was never going to be easy. When my son was three, his social worker told me I wouldn't be able to have a career at all. I was 21 and, having just completed a degree, that was devastating to hear. But it made me determined to prove this worryingly common opinion wrong.
I am often met with confused looks from peers when I mention my (now 12-year-old) son – I assume people are surprised that I work. I make this assumption because, when I meet other mothers with autistic children, they rarely have careers. Not because they don't want to, but because they feel they can't.
Read more of Jess Matthias' Guardian Professional article HERE.

No comments: