Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Challenge to All Fathers With Special Needs Children

It might take a village to raise a child, but it takes a nation to raise a special needs child. Once the nation gets involved and laws are enacted, complications always arise. This is why it is so important for BOTH parents to be fully involved in their child’s special education needs. As a parent of a special needs child and an Advocate I attend many IEP meetings, workshops, seminars and conferences. The majority of attendees at these functions are women. It always amazes me when I attend an IEP meeting and Mom is alone. Even worse when I ask Dad, “what is your child’s eligibility in their IEP” and he answers, “I’ll have to ask my wife”. For those Dads that attend IEP meetings, know what’s in their child’s IEP and help with therapies, I applaud you. For those Dads that think this is their spouse’s responsibility because you work fulltime, you are wrong. How do I know, because I was once you.

Read Doug Goldberg's article in the Special Education Advisor HERE.

No comments: