Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Getting to Know Carolyn Sakkis, Lead Psychologist


As a way to get to know staff throughout the district we asked Carolyn a few questions about her job and herself.

How does she describe her job and responsibilities?
As a School Psychologist I conduct assessment for many types of disabilities, provide counseling support to students, and provide consultation support to school staff and parents about learning, mental health, and behavioral concerns of students. I have two unique assignments in Mt. Diablo as the Lead Psychologist and the district's Diagnostic Team psychologist. As the Lead Psychologist I provide support to all the psychologists in the district, mentor the new psychologists, coordinate staff development opportunities, coordinate the assessment materials, supervise interns, coordinate the School Psychology Intern hiring and placement process, and sit on several district level committees/work groups.

What inspired you to work in this profession?
I knew early on that I wanted to work in a profession where I could support children. I have always been drawn to helping others and felt that I could be of most benefit to children in the world of education.

What is your professional goal?
I plan to continue learning and challenging myself. I am always striving to improve my knowledge and assessment skills. I would like to become a Licensed Educational Psychologist in the future as well.

What do you like best about your job?
I like being able to make a difference in the lives of students and their families. Being able to provide support, a different point of view, and/or new ideas related to a child's needs is what I like the best.

If you could change anything about your job/services you provide, what would it be?
There isn't a lot that I would change but more time would be nice!

Carolyn's Contact Information:
I can be contacted via email at sakkisc@mdusd.k12.ca.us

No comments: