The MDUSD Board of Education (BOE) will meet on Tuesday, March 9 at 7:30pm at Monte Gardens Elementary. Due to the California budget crisis the budget needs to be reduced by $15,701,400 annually. Recommended items for reduction are:
1. Reduce Special Education by an average of $2.8M annually over three years starting with the 2010-11 school year. In April, staff will share with the CAC recommended reductions based on the MGT Report, declining student enrollment, and other staff identified reductions prior to sharing the recommendations with the Board.
2. Reduce district-wide office support staff positions to create a $1.2 M savings.
3. Transfer another 1.5M from the Tier III categoricals.
4. Change the comprehensive high school graduation requirements so that students need 20 credits of math and 200 total credits. Change the alternative high school, necessary small high schools, and adult education graduation requirements so students need 20 credits of math and 180 credits. All other graduation requirements would remain the same. Click HERE and HERE for more information. For the first link please click on Item 14.2: Public Hearing and Action on Additional Budget Reductions Including Flexibility Transfers .
5. Achieve $9.8M in on-going savings through a combination of negotiable items. Click HERE for more information and click on Item 14.2: Public Hearing and Action on Additional Budget Reductions Including Flexibility Transfers .
View the agenda HERE.
View the proposed budget reduction list HERE.
View the list of proposed reductions to school sites HERE.
View the graduation comparison table HERE.