Thursday, October 24, 2013

Get to Know your CAC Reps

Name, title as CAC Board, number of children in the District.
Dorothy Weinsberger, Chair. I have three kids in the district.
What do you feel you can bring to the CAC as a board member?
I feel I can bring my deep understand of the IEP process and care about all children success and education within the district.
Why did you choose to be a CAC Board Member?
I have chosen to be a CAC board member because of the dedication I have to all students within the district. My goal is to able to support and educate parents about Special Ed programs within the district.
What do you do for fun?
I swim and go to professional and my children’s sporting events.

Name, title as CAC Board, number of children in the District.
Vi Ibarra, Vice Chair. I have two children in the district.
What do you feel you can bring to the CAC as a board member?
I've served on the CAC committee for about 6 years. In that time I have seen staff and program changes, as well as a variety of different types of placements for my son. I'm also involved with other community organizations in the special needs community. I think I bring a good background of knowledge and experience to my role as vice chair. I hope to serve as a consistent, positive, and proactive member of this wonderful team.

Why did you choose to be a CAC Board Member?
I had already made the time commitment to serve on the committee as a member. For me, the time commitment is really the biggest obstacle. Like many other parents, I feel like there is never enough time to do all the things I want to do. But once I had committed to attending monthly meetings, taking on the additional responsibility of serving on the board wasn't hard. I feel as a board member I have more access to information from the school district, and more of an opportunity to support other parents. Being of service to other parents is my first priority. I know how much other parents have helped me though my journey, and I want to pay that forward.
What do you do for fun?
Over the past couple of summers, my kids and I have become campers! We have had a lot of fun camping on our own or with other family members. It is such a nice way to disconnect from all the other things we all having going on in our lives. I love to have the time to connect with my kids for some real quality time. As they are getting older, that time together is becoming more and more difficult to find. I'm trying to cherish every little moment of it.

Name, title as CAC Board, number of children in the District.
Denise Lambert, CAC Secretary. I have 2 children in the district.
What do you feel you can bring to the CAC as a board member?
I feel that I can bring experience and perspective as a CAC board member. I've been a member of the CAC for 5 years. I have also been on many school and district committees over the years which helps me view issues from different perspectives.
Why did you choose to be a CAC Board Member?
I chose to be a CAC Board Member because I want to make a difference in the lives of our students with special needs and their families. I remember what it was like to be a parent of a newly diagnosed child and not knowing where to turn or what to do next. As a CAC Board Member, I hope that I can help parents navigate through the special needs journey.
What do you do for fun?
I love Friday night movie night with my boys! We have a simple dinner while we watch a movie. I enjoy going to Jazzercise and having coffee with my friends.

Name, title as CAC Board, number of children in the District.
My name is Lisa Huynh, and I am the Parliamentarian for CAC. My husband and I have 2 boys in the District- an 11th grader, receiving Special Education services at Northgate High School, and a 6th grader at Foothill Middle School.
What do you feel you can bring to the CAC as a board member?
As a parent of a special needs young man who has been receiving Special Education services from the District since 2002, I have first hand experience and knowledge about going through the Special Education system with my son, which I can bring to the CAC as a board member. This has included, but, not limited to, working directly with District staff, and each school and class that my son has attended. As parents with special needs children, we are the best advocate for our children!
Why did you choose to be a CAC Board Member?
Prior to being a CAC Board Member, I was a regular CAC member for several years, and I watched other parents give of their time and energy to be board members and/or to help in any way the CAC needed their help, even though they all had very busy schedules. KUDOS to all of them!!! The last several years as a CAC Board Member has given me an opportunity to be a more active CAC member. I appreciate being given the opportunity to be a CAC Board Member. I plan to contribute as much time as I can to CAC with the expertise and knowledge that I have acquired from being a parent of a special needs child.
What do you do for fun?
Since our boys are definitely gifts from God, my husband and I love just hanging out and having fun with them, like going to the library, going to In-N-Out at least once a week, or seeing a new movie the day it comes out. Children grow so fast, and for my husband and I, we feel it is so important to spend as much time as we can with our boys. Before we know it, they will be men and both of them will be taller than us!

No comments: