Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Types of Accommodations to Include in an IEP or 504 Plan

By the National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) Editorial Team

Students with learning disabilities (LD) — such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, or dyscalculia — often need accommodations in order to complete the same assignments as other students. Accommodations do not alter the content of assignments, give students an unfair advantage, or change what a test measures. They do make it possible for students with LD to show what they know without being impeded by their disability.

Once your child has been formally identified with a learning disability, you may request accommodations for your child's specific needs. If your child is eligible for an Individualized Education Program (IEP), the IEP team — which includes the parents — must decide which accommodations are appropriate and include them in the student's IEP. If your child is not eligible for special education services under IDEA, he or she may still be eligible for accommodations under a 504 Plan.

Read more HERE.

No comments: