The CAC sponsors this blog for everyone in the Mount Diablo Unified School District community who has an interest in special education and students with special needs.
Sunday, January 13, 2013
Julie Bowen: My Son Almost Died From an Allergic Reaction
What are the odds a child will be exposed to two powerful allergens at the same time? It happened to “Modern Family” actress Julie Bowen’s son. He was stung by a bee — at the same time he was eating a peanut butter sandwich.
The toddler immediately went into anaphylactic shock. His entire face swelled up, including his eyes and lips, and his breathing became labored.
“We took him to the ER, where he was treated with epinephrine, and ever since then we’ve been vigilant about keeping him safe,” the Emmy-winning Bowen told the Los Angeles Times.
Bowen told the paper she’s speaking about the experience publicly because one in 13 children have food allergies and she wants to educate parents about the dangers.