Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Benefit of Sports for Children with Special Needs

By Steve Flores from the Special Education Advisor

My name is Steve Flores and I would like to share with you my experiences in coaching children with special needs. I’ve run a soccer program for kids with special needs for the last 11 years. In that time, the program has grown from just a few children to over 60 kids. One of the reasons I think the kids keep coming back to play is the benefits they get from participating in a sport. As the parent of a child with special needs, I know how consuming life can be attending to our kids requirements. We spend so much time worrying about their IEP’s, special diets, etc. that sometimes we might overlook a key part of our child’s development. Kids with special needs can benefit just as much from a youth sports program than any mainstream child. Sports build self esteem, something that I feel is important to any child’s development. Numerous times I’ve had parents tell me how much their child has grown socially over the course of just one season.

Read complete article here.

No comments: