Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Interview with Margot Tobias, Director of Student Services


Please describe your job and responsibilities..
I deal with all aspects of student support including health, attendance, safety, counseling, discipline, enrollment (including transfers), homeless, foster youth, care teams, Healthy Start, Home and Hospital, student data systems (Aeries and MIS) and Section 504



What inspired you to work in this profession?

I have always had a love for education and a passion to serve. In high school many, many years ago I was president of the Red Cross chapter and Social Cultural commissioner. I was very active in student government. I was also active in the community. I even got the senior award for "Did Most for the School." That has never changed through college and in my career. It is also why I served on the Acalanes School Board for 13 years. I also have a passion for learning and I believe that public education is the core to our way of life. It is or should be an opportunity for all students.

What is your professional goal?

My goal is to develop and nurture a system of support for all students so that we can remove barriers to learning. I want to see the academic and social emotional supports for students coordinated. It should be easy for students and their families to access what they need to be successful in school.

What do you like best about your job?

I once said that I did not want a 9-5 job that was the same everyday. I got what I asked for! Everyday is different and it keeps me on my toes! I get to be creative and at the same time, I can make a positive difference in people's lives. For me, that is the ultimate goal.

What do you like to do during your time off?

I am a Bear Backer and love going to Cal Football games. I am also a big fan of all things Disney. I have been going to Disneyland since the year it opened and try to get there 2-3 times each year. If you visit my office, you will find many Disney items. I love reading and spending time with my family.

If you could change anything about your job/services you provide, what would it be?

I would like everyone to understand the need for our services and for full, stable funding. I have developed an expertise around budget out of necessity. One day, I would like to see enough funding so that we can create a system that is based on need and not on funding streams.

Contact info:
Margot Tobias
Director, Student Services
Mt. Diablo Unified School District
(925) 682-8000 X4069

tobiasm@mdusd.k12.ca.us

No comments: