Tuesday, November 3, 2009

An Interview with Hilary Shen, MDUSD Parent Liaison





Could you please describe your job and responsibilities?







The Parent Liaison is someone who serves as a liaison between the district and student’s with special needs. I provide resources, distribute information, facilitate trainings, make home visits as needed to assist families, consult with staff and families, work to help resolve complaints and establish support.

What inspired you to work in this profession?




When I was thinking about a career, I knew that I wanted to work with people and be in a helping profession. While in college, I met a social worker. I learned about a diverse career in social work and decided that this was the field I wanted to get into. As I was studying social work in college, I realized the gravity of an education for future success. I decided I would like to focus my career on assisting families, youth and children in need of assistance or extra help -especially in gaining access to education and facilitating a smooth transition to independence. Assisting parents and staff at the district and students with special needs is a great place for me to put my interests into action.

What is your professional goal?




When I look at my professional career, I do not really have an end point that says, “I've made it!” I truly just want to continue to assist and empower families, adults, youth, and children in need of assistance the best that I can and look back on my career knowing that I gave my all to help those in need.

What do you like best about your job?




One thing I like best about my job is the interaction I get with people. I enjoy working with the families, parents, staff and students I have encountered.

If you could change anything about the services you provide, what would it be?

I feel that there is not enough time in the day, so if I could change anything it would be to have an additional parent liaison at the district to assist the families and staff together. It would be great to work together to accomplish the work that is needed, to be there for families and any additional assistance that could be provided with two people.

No comments: