Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Meet our Superintendent



This week, Michell Redfood spoke to our MDUSD Superintendent, Dr. Dick Nicoll, as part of our continuing Get to Know your District series.

1. Describe your job and responsibilities as superintendent.
The Superintendent is responsible for everything that happens in the school district: instruction, business, personnel, special programs, etc. In Mt. Diablo , we are fortunate to have capable staff in these areas of responsibility, so the Superintendent handles major problems that are not resolved by others. The Superintendent is responsible for the agenda and conduct of school board meetings. The Superintendent also supports the Board of Education on a daily basis.

2. What inspired you to follow this career path?
I was a psychology major as an undergraduate. My interest in a practical application lead me to pursuing a career as a school psychologist. I have subsequently worked in the Special Education program in Mt. Diablo for seven years including serving as the Principal of a Special Education school in the district.

3. What is your professional goal?
My current goal is to lead the Mt. Diablo Unified School District in its efforts to achieve educational excellence, pass a parcel tax, balance the budget, and in general provide excellent instruction for all of its students. My personal goal is retirement when a new Superintendent is hired.

4. What do you like best about your job?
I really enjoy school visits when I can meet with staff individually and see in person the hard work that they do and student learning.

5. If you could change anything about your job/services you provide, what would it be?
I wish I had more time. There is so much I would like to do with school visits, writing newsletters for parents, replying to parent inquiries, meeting with community members, and building support for public education. One of the most important decisions I make every day is how to allocate my time.

No comments: