Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Meet our CAC Board Member


The blog is continuing our Get to Know your District series. This week we are looking at the Board of Education (BOE). I spoke to CAC board member, Paul Strange.

1. Describe your job as board member and its responsibilities:
I am an elected public official who is a member of the board. The board is ultimately responsible for the district from a policy perspective. While we do not manage the district day-to-day, the board sets the policy and tone for the district and ensures that management is properly addressing the challenges of serving our students.

2. What inspired you to serve on the Board?
I replaced a board member who passed away while in office. When he died, a friend suggested that I run and it simply seemed like the right thing to do. I felt that the district could be improved in many ways and I wanted to be a part of that improvement. I am proud of the work that I have done to improve the district and I believe that as we hire a new superintendent, we will see great improvement in the next few years.

3. What is your professional goal?
This question is probably better asked of the others who actually have a career in education. As many of you know, I am an attorney with my own local practice. As for the board, my goal is, and always has been, to drive changes in this district that serve students and improve our performance across the board.

4. What do you like best about your job?
I don’t know if there is one specific thing I like best, but working daily with Dick Nicoll on the challenges that we have has been great. I also greatly enjoy being able to make a difference in individual situations. When things won’t change simply due to inertia, I enjoy being the catalyst that forces change.

5. If you could change anything about your job/services you provide, what would it be?
The financial situation of the district. While I think we will continue to make strides, there is no question that we would be better suited to improve if we were not at such a disadvantage as compared to surrounding districts.

No comments: