With the Summer months fast approaching and more time spent at home with parents here are some tips to reinforce positive behaviors this summer.
Best Behavioral Practices:
Positive Ways to Correct Behavior
• Look at inappropriate behavior as a learning opportunity
• Attention overreaches everything so give 4 positive interactions for appropriate behavior to 1 correction for inappropriate behavior
• Pick your battles
• Catch them being good
• Rephrase reprimands/warnings to be directions or statements to what they should be doing. For example, if a child is climbing on something say “Step Down”.
• Remember to give feedback (praised) following compliance to reinforce the positive behavior.
• When given following a behavior it increases the likelihood of the behavior occurring again.
• In order to be effective reinforcement must be:
- Desired by the student
- Given contingent upon behavior
- Consistently given
• The most effective way to change behavior
• Praise is the most powerful tool
Information presented by Lorien Quirk, M.Ed., BCBA at a training on Autism that I believe would be helpful for all children.
Posted by: Hilary Shen, Parent Liaison